Monday, October 17, 2011

The October Daye Series

I've read (or am currently reading) all of the books in this series to date.  And I honestly don't know why.

They are like a guilty pleasure, or an inexplicable addiction.  There are many reasons why not to read the series, including a character that I usually don't care about, or am actively annoyed with.  October Daye, a changeling private detective who works for humans, which you never actually see, and fae alike.  She has a very high success rate, although how I wouldn't know because she is a little slow on the uptake.  I understand it is difficult to create an investigator who is the right balance of smart, intuitive, and lucky without them becoming all-knowing.  That is why I don't write mysteries.  And any good character must have some flaws.  October's flaw seems to be not solving the puzzle until at least several, on in the case of the second book, nearly every person immediately involved has died or is nearly dead.  Women, children, innocents, barely introduced characters and well developed secondary characters are all fair game here.  (Yet, because fairies are immortal, until killed, they are unaccustomed to death.  You would think that they would be getting used to the idea, since at least four people die per book.)  No book is complete without Toby's own death/near death experience as well. 

And yet I keep reading them. 

All of these (mostly unnecessary) deaths lead to a lot of enemies for October in the form of loved ones seeking revenge for those she has "let down."  This theme runs in every book, earning three frequently reoccurring characters free to pop up to say, "I hate you.  You let me down/ruined my life/killed my (insert loved one here."  You see two of these instances happen in the first book, while the third enemy blames October for a long-standing failure from 14 years ago.

After offering bland platitudes, such as "I didn't kill them, (actual bad guy) did.  It's not my fault," the revenge seekers are understandably unmoved.  In the fourth book, Late Eclipses, this kind of drivel actually persuades two of Toby's sworn enemies that she isn't actually at fault.  Completely unbelievable.    No slow understanding, releasing of blame and their own feelings of guilt. 

And yet, I'm reading the fifth book, One Salt Sea.  I think the reason I keep reading them is the hope that the books will get better.  October will get less annoying or more perceptive.  People won't be killed off without an actual reason.  But I have to admit to myself that I also enjoy the minor characters, which are well developed, and I enjoy the world she has created.  Within this world there are many different races with their own special talents.  There is a certain level of soap-opera like fascination with their politics and inter-racial relationships. 

I realize that after this book, I'll probably read the next one too.  So...read the series, or don't, but you can't say you were not forewarned. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading these books too. I know - it's a total guilty pleasure, right? I finished One Salt Sea, and I think her dialogue is getting better. She no longer sounds like she's writing dialogue for a film noir-style detective story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That above was me, btw. In case it still says Unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, One Salt Sea has much better dialogue. I also think she's getting better at creating complex relationships, like Toby and Tybalt's intense awkwardness. Much better than straight-up irritation interspersed with lust. I also like any interaction with the Sea Witch.

    ReplyDelete