Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Death in the Stocks, a historical mystery by Georgette Heyer

One of my favorite authors is Georgette Heyer.  I just wanted to get that out there. 

There are books of Heyer's that I haven't enjoyed as much as others or characters that I've found annoying, but even those books have amazing historical detail, quirky characters, and an imaginative plot.  I've read nearly all of her historical romances and a couple of her historical fiction.  I had never before read one of her mysteries, typically set around the '20s, before reading Death in the Stocks. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The main character, Toni, is a great leading lady.  She's outspoken, from a family of quirky and outspoken people, and young enough to seek help.  Toni and her brother are the main suspects in the murder of their half-brother Arnold, who was found dead in a set of stocks at the center of a sleepy weekend town.  Everyone seems to have a great motive for killing him.  Jilted lovers.  Angry servants.  A relative itching for money, who would inherit upon Arnold's death.  A black-mailer, and an embezzler.  In true Heyer fashion, there are a few twists and surprises, but they all make sense considering the characters, the time period, and their situation.  The secondary characters are interesting and necessary, as murders pile up and alibis must be maintained.   There are a couple of love interests as well to keep situations lively. 

If you are looking for a quick, light read, I would definitely recommend Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer. 

1 comment:

  1. Georgette Heyer for the win! This sounds like a great book. I will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete